Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reflection

One idea that has stuck with me is when Robinson talked about how the languages we learn affect the way we think. Many times, the variances in language are born out of the environment in which the people live as illustrated by Robinson's example of the many variances of the word "snow" in the Eskimo language, versus the typical two or three in most other languages. Language is central to our experience of being human. The language I speak influence the way I think, the way I see the world, the way I live my life and make decisions.
If different languages spark different pathways of thinking and creating, then can we conclude that children who are exposed to a variety of languages early in life have more creative connections than those who are not?
Language is not static, but dynamic, changing. As our environment changes, as technology evolves, so does the language we develop. How does this effect individual/collective creativity?
As a music educator, language is essential in conveying musical expression. Whether vocal or instrumental, the nuances of the instrument used is guided by a host of linguistic cues from our musical language. Are the things that I focus on in musical expression different than those of an educator in another culture because our languages are different? I'm guessing this is probably true.
There's so much that can be tied to our language and the creativity that flows from it. This would probably make a good thesis topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment